Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Perfect Design.

I got an email for this site a month or two ago asking me to do this interview type thing about my work and my inspirations and aspirations. Scanned over it before when a friend asked me to look over something she posted.

 I added some post interview commentary

"1. Where are you from, currently? Is this where you grew up as a child, or did you move there from somewhere else? Where did you move from?

I was born in St. Petersburg, FL, but was raised in a (relatively) small town 10 or so miles north of St Petersburg, called Largo.


2. What got you into graphic design? What was your inspiration for going into graphic design?

I was always into comic books when I was a kid, X-Men, Venom, Spawn, Batman. That really got me into art.

I got back into it when I worked for a metal magazine based out of Tampa. I had tinkered around for them doing ad's, logos and fliers for shows. I soon started doing artwork for local bands, t-shirt designs and album covers and stuff.

But illustration really caught my eye, I really don't do much "design" work, anything I do with CSS or Corel programs is on my Wacom Tablet.

I got a book that featured these two amazing comic artists Bernie Wrightson, he did Swamp-thing and Mary Shelly's Frankenstein and a alot of work for DC. And this other guy, Marc Silvestri, he worked for Marvel doing X-men then Image comics doing Witchblade then started his own company called Top Cow doing Darkness and all kinds of stuff. Also found out about Gustave Dore and Alphonse Mucha. Kinda blossomed from there. I also really love Jim Lee's stuff, Alex Ross, David Finch, Mike Mignola, John Dyer Baizley....too many to name.

To really sum it up, comic books again are what got me doing it.


3. Do you do freelance work, or corporate, or both? Do you love your job, and why?

I love doing work, mostly freelance, I run my own thing called IWELSHART. I mostly do artwork for bands, labels and private clients. I also do some comic work and other illustrated publications.



4. What’s your favorite part or aspect of graphic design?

Being able to put something that is in my mind on paper.



5. If you had the opportunity to do graphic design work for one event, or individual, what, or who, would it be and why? What other events, or people, have you designed for that are noteworthy, or stand out in your mind?

Comics, for one of the big three, Marvel, DC or Image. That (would be) is it.
(Don't think name dropping is cool.)



6. What piece of business advice can you give your peers that you learned from experience? How did you learn this?

Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Monotony is part of the job, if you want a piece to stand out be prepared to work 60+ hours on it.



7. Name one individual who has helped shape your graphic design career, and explain how they did this.

Cheesy, but my parents, they always indulged what ever crazy thing I wanted to try.
(Also a few teachers I have had and my girlfriend whose very damn supportive.)


8. What methods do you use to spark creativity for a project when it seems almost impossible to do so? In other words, how do you get over the writer’s block of design?

I always listen to music when I work, usually when I do work for a band I have them send me their lyrics, their ideas and their mp3's. I will immerse my self in their work and it will trigger something. I have a sketch book I just doodle random things in then when I get something good going I finish it up then transfer it to the Bristol.



9. What is it about life, other than design, that you’re passionate about? Please, explain why life is exciting to you.

Other than comics, I am a big history buff. Specifically the civil war, also love nature. Growing up in a area that 20 minute drive in any direction and you're in the middle of no where with swamps and forests. It is great.



10. To sum up… Where do you see yourself in the future? What is your biggest goal? What would be the ultimate accomplishment for you personally?

Doing comics or my own work, hopefully a mixture of both. Ultimate would have to be running my own imprint.

Thank you very much!"


http://theperfectdesign.com/blog/ian-welsh-graphic-designer-spotlight/

No comments:

Post a Comment